Medjugorje For All (A BLOG about Medugorje)

Not so long ago on June 24, 1981 in the tiny village of Medjugorje, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Mary (mother of Jesus)appeared to several young people. She continues her appearances to this day and has come as a gift from God to us. When I first read about this phenomenon, I was both fascinated and doubtful at the same time. Since then I have researched everything I could find about Medjugorje and have been privileged to travel there as a pilgrim.

Name:
Location: Schenectady, New York, United States

Although I am a born again Protestant I have a great interest in what has been happening in Medjugorje. After several years of research on the apparitions, I am reaching out to others (people of all faiths and beliefs) who have the same interest. What appears on this blog are stories and articles, mostly borrowed and hopefully accurate, additional comments and thoughts from me about Medjugorje.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Protestants and Mary


I attend a wonderful, Spirit filled, Protestant, Evangelical, Bible loving church and almost everyone who comes to our 2 hour (or so) services on Sunday morning is there because they want to spend their time worshipping the Lord with the other members of the Body. We only mention Mary when we speak of the Nativity at Christmas. When and why did we forget her? I don't know the answer to this question.
From an article of T. A. McMahon...

More and more Protestants are becoming attracted to Mary. The historic St. Thomas Episcopal Church in New York City prominently displays a statue of Our Lady of Fifth Avenue. The late John Cardinal O'Connor and Orthodox Archbishop Peter were on hand for its dedication in 1991. Charles Dickson wrote a popular little book in 1996 encouraging a reconsideration of Mary among evangelicals. In A Protestant Pastor Looks at Mary, he points out that Luther and Calvin were more agreeable toward Mary than later generations of their followers. Dickson quotes from a letter Luther wrote to the Duke of Saxony: "May the tender Mother of God herself procure for me the spirit of wisdom profitably and thoroughly to expound this song of hers." One enthusiastic Amazon.com reviewer writes, "[Dickson's] book is superb!....this book by a Protestant is the best book about the Holy Virgin I have read to date. This book made me cry and it made my spirit laugh. After reading this book, few people will be able to deny Mary's role in the lives of all Christians... [and] how the Rosary is for all Christians. ...This book also helps construct a bridge between Christian groups. It attempts to establish some much needed common ground (with lots of success). Will Protestants and Catholics ever be able to agree about Mary? Well, this book sure will help that happen!"

I am planning on reading Charles Dickson's book soon.

Are there any Non Catholics out there who believe in the apparitions of Mary?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home